Sonntag, August 26, 2012

Stefan Marjoram

I have found a very expressive artist of vintage car photos and sketches: Stefan Marjoram

Most of the time I’m a freelance director for Aardman Animation in Bristol. But a few times a year I photograph motorsports events for websites, magazines and increasingly the event organisers. I’ve always had a deep passion for cars, motorsport and car design – it’s in my blood – one of my Grandfathers worked as a racing car mechanic and the other photographed the Auto Unions at Avus in 1934.

I often look for events with a rich history such as Goodwood or the Le Mans Classic. With my photos I hope to recapture some of the flavour of the glorious past. Other times I’ll choose events which will offer interesting photo opportunities – endurance races which will offer night-shooting and possibly dramatic weather. The glamour, speed, noise, smell, the dedicated teams and breathtaking engineering – all of these things I find hugely exciting and are what I try to capture with my photographs. I’m not interested in making sure I have a picture of every car in a race – it’s all about the atmosphere.

I shoot with Canon 5D and 20D cameras using mostly prime lenses. I also love experimenting with other ways of capturing images – whether it’s with plastic cameras like the Holga or Gakken stereo pinhole camera, or with my self-built tilt-shift lens and focal plane shutter. I’ll use anything that helps capture the mood and makes my photos different from those of all the other photographers covering an event.

In the past year I have occasionally been putting the camera aside in favour of pencils, pens and brushes. It's an interesting new challenge but I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. A few drawings and paintings can be found in the 'motoring art' gallery. If you have any questions, comments or would like to hire me - and of course I don't only photograph and draw cars - I'd be delighted to hear from you.



He has created for me a portrait of my Triumph TR 4A...


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen